Wednesday, April 1

Another response to mystery commenter (you really should be reading these)

That was alot to swallow after having literally woken up 3 minutes ago.

But I'm not going to rip you a new one. Why would I retaliate against one of the few people who has read my entire blog and took enough time to write me a post-size comment?

The fact of the matter is, my life isn't precisely as I'd like it to be right now. I admit that.
I work at Kerbey Lane, which, as you correstly surmised, isn't what I'd like to call "my career". But to say that I didn't want to call my old job (if you've read my entire blog, you know what that was) "my career" would be even more true.
It is true that I'm not travelling now, and what travel plans I do have for the near future don't consist of a six month stint in South America. It is true that things aren't as carefree for me as they used to be. It is true that I've gained weight, due %95 to the fact that I no longer have my old job.
I'm in a period of paying my dues. Because yes, working when you want, drinking, spending the days at the greenbelt, saving money and travelling is a fun way to live life, but it's not going to get me where I really want to go.
I'm in school full time now. I work full time now. Does this make for an exciting life? Not so much. Is it necessary? Absolutely.
Some day I'd love to join the Peace Corps. You need a bachelors degree to do this. I'd love to write for a travel magazine, or a newspaper some day. You don't just need to travel to do this, you need an education and credentials.
I'm not going to school for a business degree or a computer science degree. I'm going for a degree in Journalism with a minor in Spanish, so I can acquire the knowledge I need to make those dreams my reality, not just temporary haituses between long periods of working in a club.
Can you imagine how easy it would be to go to school full time working until 2:30 every morning, and under the influence of certain people in that scene?
I'm not a person that was brought up with alot of discipline, so the answer to that question is, not very.

So maybe I have a boyfriend who doesn't like to read, and maybe he has a girlfriend who doesn't care about working on cars. These things aren't the only things you need from a relationship.
And incidently, my last boyfriend, with whom I had a great relationship, would read my blog (when I made him...even though he liked to read in general), and he didn't like it. He didn't like the way I wrote.
To be honest many of the people closest to me in my life don't read my blog: my best friend, my mom, my boyfriend, my sister.
So big frigging deal. Maybe I like it that way. Leaves me free to write about them unabashedly.

Maybe all of this is just a big justification. Jusitification and reason, there's a fine line between the two.

I just feel like I'm doing what I have to be doing right now. It's not very glamorous, but I'm 26 by now. I don't want to be working in bars and restaurants forever. I want to be able to accomplish the things that can make my life great, and not just 1/3 of it, while the other 2/3's I try and hide.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

After reading this you have made me want to go back to school and finish my degree even though I have what society would call a career. I so admire your passion and drive! I know one day I'll be perusing a book store and recognize a name on a travel guide or book of photos from a far off location I have always thought of going. I will open the back flap and there a picture of you will be.

Anonymous said...

yo.. bookmarked post