Sunday, March 15

My efforts to post everyday have been thwarted by a curious happening...I have nothing to say.



Or maybe I just literally don't have the energy to formulate my thoughts into words.



Maybe my brain runs at a lower capacity without the occasional helping of undercooked or raw meat.



Last night, in an insomniac effort to lull myself to sleep by thinking (brilliant), I reminisced over past adventures, and tiptoed into dreaming about new adventures I pray come to fruition. I was paralyzed with the fear that they never will.

Something I've thought about. My past adventures, especially the "big" one, have, sadly, had a focus around drinking from about sundown on to the wee hours of the early morning. I've slept in a construction site, I've slept undersomeone's beach bungalow on a stolen towel. I've slept in places I either don't remember or wish I didn't.

That doesn't matter. The point is, while I still want to travel, I don't know if I can hang with so much drinking anymore.

The point of my last trip was to be free and have fun, go with the flow and see what fate brought me. And naturally I still want to do that, but I'm not 23 anymore, and by the time I travel again, I'll likely be embarrassingly old. I need a new focus.

It could be archaeological sites through out the world (after seeing The Ruins, this scares me), or I could take an anthropological standpoint and read up on the pasts of different cultures and while on my travels, juxtapose this information with the modern day cultures of different peoples. I could try to learn the language of each country I visit (ha ha ha ha). I could be be purely journalistic about it all and write every detail of my advenure down, in hopes of writing either a travel memoir or a some sort of pseudo-travel guide (I like the former better).

I don't know exactly. But I am sure that it will require both going to bed and getting up earlier, and meeting more people outside of the Anglo,English-speaking tradition.

Hmmmm. I think I've just inspired myself! You go girlfriend!

Despite the chill and gloom outside, I think I'm going to see what's going on in my lovely city today and take myself on a lttle Austin adventure!

Photos and writings to follow.

1 comment:

Martyn said...

You should consider your use of the word "sadly" in future entries.